Skip to content

SWAP Sewing……

June 24, 2009

      Like I mentioned before, during the last month and half I worked on sewing for a SWAP on Sewing Mamas. SWAP stands for “Sewing with a Plan”. So instead of just randomly sewing up clothes for yourself that don’t go with anything else you’ve made, you actually plan it out beforehand. I’ve been trying to learn to sew for myself, so I decided this would be the perfect challenge for me. I honestly don’t think I can say that I “LOVE” any of the things I’ve made. I would probably make little (or not so little) changes on every single piece. But it was a huge learning experiece for me and I’m glad I did it.

     Part of my challenge was using mostly fabrics I already had. This wasn’t required (or even encouraged), but I certainly have enough fabric already. I don’t have all that much mama appropriate fabric and I think my SWAP would have turned out better if I had bought fabric for it, but it was nice to use up some long-stored fabrics. We had to make 4 knit tops, 2 woven tops, a dress, a jacket, and 4 bottoms.

     For the knit tops, I sewed one new pattern, one already tried pattern, and one copy of RTW. I reviewed several patterns on Pattern Review and all of them on Sewing Mamas, so I won’t do a real in-depth review here.

     I used Jalie 2806 for two of my tops. I ommited the gathers and raised the neckline for one and followed the pattern exactly for the other.  This pattern didn’t fit me without some tweaks, but they were easy enough and I know I will be coming back to this pattern again and again. The neckline is too low for my taste, so next time I do the gathered version I will be raising it.

     As you can see on the hearts version, I did a really poor job with the neckline. I’m still learning how to do knit binding (actually, any binding is my nemesis!) and this was probably my all time worst example. I didn’t serge it, because I plan on ripping it out and finishing it on my mom’s coverstitch. We had sick kids when I was finishing this up and I wasn’t able to get over to her house to do that the first time. I copied one of my favorite shirts for the arms and hemline. You can’t see it in the photo, but you just take two strips of the fabric, about 1″ wide or so (I can’t remember the exact width) and serge them on (length will depend on the stretchiness of the knit). It gives kind of an interesting raw-edge finish.


Jalie, Mad Sky Top

      The brown top is another version of the Puffed Sleeve top from Ottobre 2-2008. I don’t love it and I’m not really sure why. I loved this fabric and I love the style, but for some reason I think it looks kind of sloppy. I could have added an inch of length to it, too. I must have deleted any other photos of this top, because this is the only one I can find.
Puffed Sleeve Top, Ottobre 2/2007

     This red tank was a copy from one of my favorite shirts. It has a cute gathered detail at the shoulders that you can’t really see in the picture. I think it would have worked better in a lighter weight knit…it didn’t really gather as nicely as the original. I only had a small piece of this red knit, so I had to add the brown at the bottom.
Red Tank with Layered Skirt

4 Comments leave one →
  1. dixiemango permalink
    June 25, 2009 11:38 am

    I think they look great. I especially like the brown one. Way to go!

  2. June 26, 2009 5:30 am

    Those all look so nice! I like the red and brown top, and the puffed sleeve top the most.

  3. July 16, 2009 12:57 pm

    These clothes are all beautifull. I really love the skirt, especially the bottom, so different!


  1. More SWAP sewing… « See Mommy Sew

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: