Schedule: Day 22
Well, so much for my intention to post almost every day! I have to admit, I’ve not been getting up at 3:30 every morning! And the mornings I do, I’m pretty lazy about doing things I need to do. I have got some sewing done, though. By far, the thing that I’ve had the hardest thing thing with is exercise. It seems like I can always come up with a good excuse not to do it. But I guess one thing at a time. I’ll be happy just to get my house cleaner and get things more orderly here…then I’ll deal with the exercise! I still need to tackle a chore list for the kiddos (and me too). Right now it’s just kind of haphazard, assigning chores day-to-day. A little more structure would be good.
See, I said I’d been sewing. I made this top from Otto Woman 2/2008. I really like it and will be making it again. I did make several mistakes. The first was choosing a fabric that wasn’t as stretchy as the pattern called for. I didn’t want to use good fabric for a trial run, so I used this knit that I had picked up at Walmart. It doesn’t stretch much, so the arms are a bit tight and the bottom band wasn’t stretchy enough to fit the bottom of the shirt. I ended up gathering the bottom of the shirt a bit to fit the band. My main problem was getting the gathers to stay put. Do people typically baste knit gathers? My slid around a lot and I ended up having so many when I came to the end up the yoke seam that one side of the shirt is much more gathered than the other! Oh well…..it’s still wearable, which is more than I can say about some previous shirt atempts. Please excuse the untrimmed serging that is hanging out from the sleeve. Did I say serging?….um, yeah…did I forget to mention that I bought a serger? I think I did! I bought this and I LOVE it. So easy to thread and use. I have nothing to compare it to, but I’m sure enjoying using it. I just need to get more thread….right now I only have white.
I also atempted a real pants waistband. I think I did it wrong because the waistband ended up being too short. I had a terrible time understanding the fly directions and never did come up with a tutorial that made sense to me. I don’t do too well with written directions, I think. I used Ottobre 4/04, number 15 (cargo pants) for these. I’m so used to making elastic waist pants that I forgot to check the waist measurement first and they ended up way too big. So I ended up having to add elastic to the back. And no, the pockets don’t just look crooked because of the elastic. They really are crooked! I didn’t do those right either. But they are real pants. J said they are like store pants, because I was able to use my new snap pliars and put a snap to close the waist (Love those!). All this complaing, but really, I’m pretty happy with them. I think I will making another pair if I can get the waistband and fly ironed out. With less pockets though! I love the look, but it takes way too much time.